Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Pearl iZUMi Barrier Cycling Glove Reviews

Pearl iZUMi Barrier Cycling Glove,Black,Small
Customer Ratings: 4 stars
List Price: $70.00
Sale Price: $42.87
Today's Bonus: 39% Off
Buy Now

Barrier gloves are good for a 15 mile ride at temperatures of 25 35 F. Above 40 degrees they are a little warm. Below 25 you will want a glove liner, or your fingers will start to feel the cold after 4 or 5 miles. Good product, well made, great at blocking wind, you will have problems if you need to ride below 10 degrees for longer than 30 minutes. An extra-large is almost too small for me, and I don't have big hands, so if you plan on using a liner, better get a size larger than normal.

Click Here For Most Helpful Customer Reviews >>

I had great hopes for these gloves after being very satisfied with one of their cycling jackets and reading so many good comments in general about the company. It says right in the product description these are meant for "cold weather riding". Having worn the gloves a few times now, I'm left to wonder: what's their definition of cold weather?

Riding with these gloves in an air temperature of just under 30F, the tips of my fingers became numb while my wrists became sweaty. (My commute is less than five miles.) In an air temp of 16F, with a good pair of glove liners, all of my fingers became numb almost to the point of being unable to operate the brake levers. Not safe! (In both instances, there wasn't any noticeable wind.) I've been shopping on amazon for quite a few years and this will be the first product I'll return for failing to live up to its billing.

FOLLOW UP: I've talked to a few people and come to realize winter cycling gloves aren't good for use in truly cold temps. For that, you need either ski gloves or those intended for winter motorcycling. Get 'em oversized to allow you to also wear glove liners without being too tight, which reduces their insulating capacity. Stay warm!

Best Deals for Pearl iZUMi Barrier Cycling Glove

Bought these gloves to replace last years lobster style that disappeared. Of course as soon as I got the package I found my "old" pair. Mainly out of laziness I ended up keeping these as well.

Thoughts:

I've used these now in temps down to 18F and they worked as expected. I'm a bit surprised that I don't see any difference between this style and the lobster -they seem equally as warm. Like most gloves I've used, these may take about 15 minutes to warm up. Not exactly sure how that works but I'm presuming it traps the hand heat and this takes awhile to build up. 15 minutes equates to about 4-5 miles of riding. So if your range falls within that these gloves may not do much for you. Then again I do have cold hands so that may be a factor as well.

While I don't have huge hands, they are on the large size and the XXL is a bit tight in this style. They are just tight enough that I wonder about durability in the long run. The lobster style, by comparison, fit better.

At this point in the year I don't do many long rides but I recall from last year that these get rather sweaty around the 35 mile mark and can start getting cold again due to the moisture.

Overall these gloves are not perfect but they are the best I've been able to find thus far.

Honest reviews on Pearl iZUMi Barrier Cycling Glove

I got these gloves for when my Pearl Izumi Gavia gloves (no longer made, but the Pearl iZUMi Elite Softshell Glove is comparable) weren't warm enough, which for me is around 33F. These gloves are definitely bulkier than the Gavia gloves, but I didn't have any issues shifting on my commute. I think some shifters (like push-push rapidfire) could be an issue. These run a little snug, so consider going a size larger. This will allow you to add an additinal liner, which other reviwers recommend. I just rode to work in 36F weather and my hands felt toasty--a little too toasty apparently since the backs of my hands were sweaty when I removed them.

Reading the temperatures and conflicting reviews (too warm/too cold) makes it clear that everybody has different levels of hand/finger comfort and blood circulation. I will use these gloves when the temperature dips below freezing since they feel too warm otherwise. It rarely gets much colder than 30F where I live, so this glove will probably only be used occasionally.

Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Pearl iZUMi Barrier Cycling Glove

This is not a glove for cold weather but coolish weather. It is well made although some of the inner seams rub the end of my finger tips and I have a large size glove.

Buy Fom Amazon Now

No comments:

Post a Comment